Becoming fit and healthy is a two-way street; what you feed your body is just as important as the fitness routine you use to meet your goals. Summertime can be challenging when it comes to eating right, but there are many healthy summer recipe options you can incorporate into your lifestyle and summer events. Here are some ideas to create nourishing, flavorful meals this summer that will keep you on track to creating a healthier, fitter body.
New Options for Fresh Salads
Summer is an ideal time to enjoy fresh produce, but a green salad is not the only way to add cold vegetables and fruits to your meals. Hit the local farmer’s markets and bring home straight from the farm produce to create some amazing salads and produce dishes for your summer meals:
- Hasselback Tomato Caprese Salad. Slicing fresh tomatoes Hasselback-style with alternating fresh basil and mozzarella, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a new twist on the tomato salad.
- Avocado-Cucumber Salad. Chop up avocado, tomato, cucumber, red onion and cilantro – toss with salt, pepper and olive oil for a flavorful side dish that is wonderful on a hot summer’s day.
- Swap cauliflower for potatoes or pasta. Have a pasta or potato salad you love, but want to lower the carb-factor? Steamed cauliflower pieces work wonders to replace pasta or potato but have fewer carbs and calories with more nutritional benefits.
Salads – green, red or otherwise – are perfect for summertime meals as side or main dishes. Make sure to fill your refrigerator with the many fresh produce options available to create nutritious, taste bud-tantalizing options.
One of the best ways to prepare a fantastic meal on a warm day is on the grill. It is also a healthier option for reducing fat and calories. Make the most of cooking outdoors with these summer grilling ideas:
- Grill your veggies. Grilling brings out the flavor in many vegetables. Sear bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, artichokes and all your favorite veggies on the grill for smoky goodness.
- Skewers and kabobs. Marinate vegetables and your favorite meats to make skewers and kabobs on the grill. These are favorite for kids and adults; also, a perfect finger food for backyard parties and barbeques.
- Stuffed vegetable boats. Avocados, hollowed-out zucchinis, halved-bell peppers – these all make wonderful vegetable boats that can be filled and grilled for healthy appetizers or as main dishes.
With the beautiful weather and so many fresh options available, summer cooking should never be boring. It can also be healthy when you replace hamburgers, hot dogs and mayo-laden salads for fresher, leaner recipes like the ideas above.
At Apex Personal Training, we work with our clients to help them achieve their health and fitness goals with customized training options. If getting in shape in on your to-do list this summer, let us help you streamline your workouts and your waistline with our innovative training programs.